With experience working with boards, senior management, compliance, operations and insurance departments, auditors and regulators, we can assist in the development and implementation of solutions that meet customers’ expectations and regulators’ requirements, whilst providing lasting value to your business.
Clients include retail, industry and corporate superannuation trustees, fund promoters, superannuation fund administrators, group life insurers, communication agencies specialising in superannuation marketing and communications, and financial services providers.
Who We Are
Managing Director (FASFA, FGIA)
Following obtainment of a double degree in law and arts from Monash University (Australia), in 2004 I started my career with PFS Consulting at a time when AFS Licenses were a relatively new concept for superannuation funds and RSE Licensing was just commencing. Over a period of ten years I managed and successfully grew the governance, compliance and risk management consulting arm of PFS into a thriving business which assisted multiple industry, retail and corporate superannuation fund trustees obtain and retain their RSE and AFS Licenses and MySuper Authorisations, whilst at the same time working with a number of boutique financial services providers to obtain, expand and retain their AFS Licenses.
In 2014 I was approached by Australian Ethical Investment to expand a consulting role into a full-time role of Risk and Compliance Manager. It was an excellent opportunity to learn about the operation of governance, compliance and risk management functions in-house and for two years I was responsible for all of the compliance and risk management functions associated with the Australian Ethical Retail Superannuation Fund and the Australian Ethical Managed Fund products. During this time, I also performed company secretarial functions for AEI as a listed entity.
After a short career break to indulge my love of travelling, in January 2017 I decide to return to consulting; this time under my own name. My goal on the commencement of ST Consult, and which continues to be true now is to deliver intuitive, tailored and pragmatic solutions to the challenges being faced by ASIC and APRA regulated entities, without unnecessary overheads.
In addition to operating ST Consult, I am also a Non-Executive Director of Togethr Trustees, a superannuation trustee holding an Extended Public Offer RSE Licence, which currently manages $26 billion on behalf of over 150,000 members. I am recognised as a Fellow of ASFA and the GIA.
Senior Consultant (FASFA, GAICD)
My passion for superannuation and nearly 20 years’ experience in the industry, has allowed me to form a comprehensive understanding of superannuation and wealth management products.
Prior to joining ST Consult, I held the role of Executive Officer Superannuation at Australian Ethical Investment, where my primary responsibility was developing the superannuation and insurance products in order to grow the business. In this role, I gained an in-depth understanding of the superannuation regulatory framework, and formed strong relationships with regulators, administrators, group insurers and industry associations.
My focus at ST Consult is assisting clients to develop robust, efficient and competitive products which meet the needs of their members whilst operating within the complex regulatory framework.
I am a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and hold a Bachelor of IT (Software Engineering) from Queensland University of Technology, a Masters in Management from the University of Wollongong, a Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) from Pinnacle Financial Services Academy and a Certificate in Responsible Investment Essentials from the PRI Academy. I am recognised as a Fellow of ASFA and was a finalist in the Women in Finance Awards (Superannuation Executive of the Year) in 2013.
Tailored and Pragmatic Advice and Services
Specific governance skills include working with clients to:
- Obtain and retain licenses and authorisations.
- Interpret and implement legislative, regulatory and prudential changes.
- Develop and review policies and procedures in line with regulator guidance.
- Facilitate board and committee evaluation programs.
- Prepare for, interpret and implement the requirements for the Insurance in Super Voluntary Code.
- Prepare for, and respond to the findings of, regulator reviews and internal and external audit findings.
Compliance and Risk Management Skills
Specific compliance and risk management skills include:
- Developing and reviewing member/client documentation (e.g. PDSs) and internal policies and procedures.
- Developing and implementing monitoring and reporting structures that integrate seamlessly with the business.
- Reviewing key activities/processes, identifying risk or compliance-related issues, and recommending solutions.
- Monitoring effectiveness of business risk and compliance practices.
- Independent assessment of risks related to key business decisions, projects, and process or product changes or launches.
- Facilitating risk management workshops to develop and refine risk identification and measurement methodologies, as well as appropriate mitigation strategies and control mechanisms.
- Constructing compliance, risk management and incident reporting templates.
- Transferring manual compliance and risk management reporting frameworks into suitable software programs, and training clients on their use and application.
- Developing risk and compliance training modules and providing induction training for new starters and ongoing training for existing staff.
Product and Operational Strategy Skills
Specific product and operational strategy skills include:
- Development of business strategies and business plans.
- Product benchmarking (fees and costs reviews, performance benchmarking and growth metrics).
- Fees and costs strategy, including compliance with RG97 and associated disclosure requirements.
- Development and completion of Outcomes Testing.
- Operating models, outsourcing strategy and service standard reviews.
- Reserve management, valuation policies and investment governance reviews.
Group Insurance Skills
Specific group insurance skills include:
- Insurance strategy development, product review and product benchmarking.
- Insurance Management Framework reviews.
- Insurance rectification projects premium refunds, cover corrections.
- Policy negotiations with your insurer.
- Disclosure document writing / review.
- Risk review of insurance (including stress testing the product, processes and disclosure).
- Prepare for, interpret and implement the requirements for, and review compliance with, the Insurance in Super Voluntary Code.
"Our experiences working with ST Consult have been nothing but the best experiences we’ve had dealing with any consultants. They have deep insurance focus covering everything from policy development to operational implementation. We engaged Meagan because we didn’t want a “cookie cutter” solution and we needed someone who could work with our existing processes. Meagan’s sage counsel, input and direction was instrumental in negotiating a substantial outsourcing agreement. I can confidently recommend their high quality, professional work. If you’re working with them, I can say for sure that you are in great safe hands."
Industry Super Fund Executive
"Simone is a clear and logical thinker, who communicates well as a consultant in both written and oral form. Her work ethic and deep knowledge of her field has assisted us to manage our compliance burden more efficiently, and provided some key insights to improve the performance of our board. I highly recommend her work."
CEO, Industry Super Fund
"ST Consult were open, flexible, and collaborative. Simone and Meagan worked with us to understand what was needed and to implement a workable solution on a tight timeline. We are extremely impressed with the level of communication throughout the project and the quality of the end deliverables."
COO, Fund Promoter
Finding the right consultant is important. For more information about our skills, experience and availability, and to discuss your requirements, time pressures and budget, please contact us at: